Wednesday 26 February 2014

Culture Project

This project was based on Cultures and the contrast of opposites to compose a final outcome that is original and still has the elements of both cultures.Out of all projects this is my favourite and I have been most enthusiastic about. It allows you to be brave and adventurous as I like to mix things that are not seen in the norm. I chose to do two contrasting cultures; south-London chav verses Moroccan prints. I was most influenced by american television reality shows like Jerry Springer and Maury. However I thought I should look at a culture that I have been around to witness social and gang behaviours that I  have witnessed. I chose to watch U.K shows like Police Interceptors, Jeremy Kyle and Channel 4's Benefit Street. This was something I watch daily and have a real interest in as to find why the stereotypes of Londons gangs are so true. I also wanted to find psychological reasons to why chav's behave the way they do and carry themselves with such low status by wearing imitations of designer clothes, heavy makeup, checked printed clothes and old school Reebok trainers and hat. They are also seen to be in the governments eye's to not wanting to help themselves in the way of finding a job and caring for themselves. They are also stereotypically on benefits with multiple children trying to survive for them and their families.

On the other hand I have chosen to clash the chav culture with the Moroccan prints/lifestyle because from recently visiting Morocco I was interested by their bright mixtures of prints and colours in the use of their clothes as well as their streets eg: coloured house and plants. I have few scarfs that I have previously purchased and I am intrigued by their intricate embroidered fabrics that are done either by hand or on machine. I also thought the thought of the london female chav is seen always pregnant on shows like Jeremy Kyle or shows multiple drug addicts and alcohol abusers. In conjunction in arabic countries the laws are that the female has to be with a man of the same faith and must be faithful and must provide for their family. I like the the odd mixture and thought I could create a bold collection with the use of the clashing cultures. 

In my sketchbook I have created many prints made from a collage of fabrics and different coloured paper by using the typical Burberry check print mixed with Moroccan tile prints combined to make the collage. From the collage I have scanned and edited it on Photoshop to make three different individual prints which I then place into some of my designs. I enjoy mixing the chav theme by drawing hats on the models whilst incorporating the layers of clothing and nude tones they wear in Morocco to keep cool. To improve this project I could of produced much more designs which created a delay in my other projects.





No comments:

Post a Comment